BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, US —Nominations are now being accepted for the 2022 Women in Agribusiness Demeter Award of Excellence, an annual award that recognizes outstanding women in the ag and food sector.
Awards will be presented at the annual Women in Agribusiness (WIA) Summit, planned Sept. 26-28 in Dallas, Texas, US.
First introduced in 2013, the Women in Agribusiness Demeter Award of Excellence, so named for Demeter, the goddess of the harvest from ancient Greek mythology, recognizes those who have achieved excellence in their field and/or who have demonstrated an outstanding contribution to the agribusiness industry. Thus far, nearly 25 change-makers in ag and food, along with five exceptional companies, including Agrium, Nationwide and Syngenta, have been recipients of the award.
Accomplishments noted through the years include:
- Kay Kuenker’s championing Dow AgroSciences’ Women’s Innovation Network (WIN) through ensuring funding, initiatives and accelerated development of the program that advances women’s development and careers. (NOTE: Kuenker is now chief executive officer of Advanced Agrilytics LLC.)
- Kelly Stevens, diversity and inclusion consultant at Buffalo Wild Wings, launching Team Member Diversity Networks, as well as nine regional Women’s Field Leadership Forums and the Home Office Women’s Leadership Forum.
- Christine Tacon, groceries code adjudicator, UK Regulator, nominated for being “a dynamic businesswoman who has had a major impact in agribusiness and the food sector,” credited with transforming the largest farmer cooperative in the UK from operating at a huge loss to ending with an $8 million profit, and a $30 million increase in revenue.
Successes such as these are welcome in nominations for the 2022 award, where up to three recipients will be chosen. Criteria for nomination includes:
- Women with a minimum of 10 years of experience in the ag and/or food industry;
- Women who are a positive example to other women in the industry;
- Women who break down barriers and serves as a resource for others; and
- Women who consistently exemplify professionalism.
Nomination forms, which are available here, will be accepted through July 15. There is no limit to the number of entries. Self-nominations are permissible as well.