“The Farm Profit Program will help to substantially increase the number of organic grain producing acres in the U.S.,” said Erin Heitkamp, managing director of strategy, sustainability and assurance at Pipeline Foods, who oversees the Farm Profit Program. “Currently, the majority of organic grain consumed in the U.S. is imported. There’s a huge lack of resources to help farmers realize the pride and profitability that come with organic and regenerative farming practices, and Pipeline Foods can help farmers overcome these barriers.”
Anders Gurda, who previously managed an outreach program focused on organic grain production at the University of Wisconsin – Madison, has been hired to lead agronomy solutions for the Farm Profit Program.
“Anders has deep expertise in research and program management focused on organic and sustainable farming systems,” Heitkamp said. “We’re thrilled to have him join the Pipeline Foods team, where his unique knowledge and experience in coalescing resources and building community will be invaluable.”
The Pipeline Foods Farm Profit Program offers the following services:
• Economic programs – Budget-based economic support recognizing the economic challenges that can be experienced during the conventional-to-organic transition period
• Marketing – Customized marketing arrangements for all Certified Transitional and marketable organic crops
• Crop insurance – Help navigating the organic crop insurance program
• Agronomic support – A three-year agronomic plan and customized, in-person advice from organic experts during the transition and beyond certification
• Access to inputs and equipment – Access to regionally-proven, highest value seed, fertilizer, and equipment
• Certification support – In-person advice on achieving and retaining organic certification
• Community – Opportunities to connect with other local, interested and successful organic farmers and the larger Pipeline Nation of farmers
The Farm Profit Program will have central operations out of Pipeline Foods headquarters in Minneapolis, as well as a regional office based in Malden, Missouri, U.S. Pipeline Foods plans to add additional regional offices across the United States in 2018.