WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND — New Zealand’s grain production was buoyed by increased wheat production, according to the Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Grain production in the 2020 marketing year increased 2% to 2.28 million tonnes. Wheat production jumped 21% due to increased yields and favorable weather.

New Zealand’s limited land impedes the country’s ability to grow grains and oilseeds. According to the USDA, about 60% of the total grain and feed supply is imported and the other 40% is produced domestically.

Total grain and feed imports for the 2020 marketing year totaled 3.49 million tonnes.

The country’s grain and feed consumption for the 2020 marketing year is 5.77 million tonnes. The USDA said New Zealand’s grain and feed consumption has gradually increased over the past two decades, rising from around 3 million tonnes in the early 2000s to 4.6 million tonnes in the 2013 marketing year and peaking at 5.9 million tonnes in the 2018 marketing year.