CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, U.S. — The CME Group announced on June 4 that it averaged an agricultural volume of 1.9 million contracts per day in May 2019, up 31% from May 2018, including a record volume of 3.2 million contracts on May 31.
Other highlights from May included:
- Record average daily volume for corn futures and options, up 78% year on year to 861,000 contracts.
- Average daily volume for grains and oilseeds futures and options increased 34% year on year to 1.7 million contracts.
- Soybeans futures and options average daily volume rose 9% year on year to 321,000 contracts.
- Livestock futures and options average daily volume grew 15% year on year to 191,000 contracts.
- Hard red winter wheat futures and options average daily volumes increased 19% year on year to 69,000 contracts.
In overall trading, CME Group reached average daily volume of 23.9 million contracts during May 2019, up 19% from May 2018. Open interest at the end of May was 143 million contracts, up 24% from year-end 2018 and up 14% from May 2018. Open interest reached a record 143.5 million contracts on May 23, 2019.