MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA, U.S. — Each year at the Grain Elevator and Processing Society (GEAPS) Exchange, the group honors those in the industry whose work or commitment to the organization deserves special recognition.
With Exchange 2011 now only five months away, GEAPS is accepting nominations for each of its four major individual awards.
For any questions about GEAPS awards or the nominations process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The awards, which will be presented onstage at Exchange 2011 in Portland, Oregon, U.S., are:
• Industry Leader, presented to anyone — GEAPS member or not — who has provided extraordinary service to the grain industry.
Qualifications for the honor could incorporate a wide variety of accomplishments, ranging from technological achievements to successful efforts toward the enhancement of industry knowledge, safety, efficiency or even public perception. Nominations must be made by or through an international board member. Contact a board member by Oct. 18.
• International Member of Distinction, an honor for GEAPS members who have made outstanding contributions to the organization. In the 35 years since its inception, there have been 25 recipients. Any GEAPS member — regular, associate or affiliate — may be designated by the international board as a member of distinction, but nominees must meet the following requirements:
1. Must have been a member for at least five of the preceding 10 years; and
2. Must have exhibited extraordinary service to GEAPS. For example, they must have made outstanding contributions through an international committee, or played a major role in achieving excellence or innovation in GEAPS programming, or positively enhanced the organization’s visibility and status in the grain industry.
Recommendations for International Member of Distinction must also be sponsored by an international board member. Contact GEAPS Executive Vice-President David Krejci at the GEAPS office (1.952.928.4640 or email@example.com) by Oct. 18 to nominate someone. All information will be kept confidential. If the board member agrees, the name will be submitted to the board for consideration in November.
• Chapter Member of Distinction is an award bestowed by individual chapters. While the international version described above honors contributions at the international level, this award focuses on service regionally. To be considered as a Chapter Member of Distinction, candidates must:
1. Have been a member for at least five of the preceding ten years;
2. Have exhibited extraordinary service to the organization at the chapter level, through contributions to excellence in chapter-meeting programming, achievements in promoting meetings and fostering member participation in meetings, or significant gains in recruitment of new chapter members.
Chapters are urged to advise the International office of selected recipients of the award by Nov. 30. Each chapter will receive nomination forms next month. If you are interested in recommending someone for the award, contact an officer of your chapter.
While Chapter Members of Distinction are recognized at the Exchange, chapters are encouraged to also organize recognition ceremonies of their own.
• The Corbett Award¸ named in honor of John Corbett, a lifetime member from the Kansas City Chapter, recognizes outstanding service to GEAPS and is presented by associate members to associate members. All GEAPS members and chapters are invited by the GEAPS Associates Board to submit names for nomination. Recipients must be current associate members who have been members for 10 years or more and have provided exceptional service to benefit GEAPS or its associate members. Nominations should be submitted by Oct. 18.