Established in 1986 by Milling & Baking News, sister publication of World Grain, the award will be presented in May to the practicing milling operative who has made the most significant contribution to the progress of a plant, a company and the industry from an operating point of view.
The 28th annual “Milling Operative of the Year” award will be presented on May 2 at the IAOM Banquet and Awards Ceremony of the 117th annual International Association of Operative Millers Conference and Expo. The conference and expo will be held April 29-May 3, in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. The winner will receive an inscribed plaque, and a scholarship will be established in the winner’s name at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas, U.S.
Selection of the winner will be made by the staff of Milling & Baking News. Ken Ball, Star of the West Milling, Quincy, Michigan, U.S., was the recipient of the 2012 award.
Other recent winners include:
• Scott Martin, ConAgra Mills, Omaha, Nebraska, U.S in 2011.
• Emil Kolb, Cargill, Minneapoils, Minnesota, U.S. in 2010
• Greg Ball, King Milling Company, Lowell, Michigan, U.S., in 2009
• Ted Korolchuk, ConAgra Mills, Omaha, Nebraska, U.S. in 2008
• Michael Wade Blalock, Milner Milling Company Inc., Barnesville, Georgia, U.S. in 2007
• Todd Peterson, North Dakota Mill, Grand Forks, North Dakota, U.S. in 2006
• Everett Abercrombie, Horizon Milling, Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S. in 2005
• Mike Long, Bay State Milling Company, Quincy, Massachusetts, U.S. in 2004
• Bob Reid, The Mennel Milling Company, Fostoria, Ohio, U.S. in 2003
• Kevin Doehring, American Italian Pasta Co., Excelsior Springs, Missouri, U.S. in 2002
• Neil Mathieson, Robin Hood Multifoods Inc., Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada in 2001.
Nominations should be submitted by March 29, 2013 in a summary of not more than two pages to: Eric Schroeder, managing editor, Milling & Baking News, 4800 Main St., Suite 100, Kansas City, Missouri, U.S., 64112; fax: 1.816.756.0494; e-mail: email@example.com. Only millers who are employed in North American mills are eligible for the award.