DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES — Milling has resumed in Yemen by the U.N. World Food Program following a halt in late December because of shelling damage, Reuters reported.
Grain stores at the Red Sea port of Hodeidah, Yemen, were damaged by artillery fire on Dec. 26. The WFP said milling resumed on Dec. 30.
The United Nations is trying to enforce a ceasefire and troop withdrawal agreed to a year at peace talks, Reuters said.
The Red Sea Mills is on a front line between forces loyal to President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi’s recognized government and those of the Iran-aligned Houthi militia.
Grain was off limits for six months and at risk of rotting until the WFP negotiated access in February and began milling. There is enough grain to feed 3.7 million people for a month, but so far just over 4,500 tonnes have been milled into flour, the WFP said.
Millions of people are at risk of starvation because of the ongoing conflict.