Milling heritage preserved
October 01, 2002
by Emily Wilson
An early 1900s Briddon & Fowler rollermill is to be refurbished and restored to its former splendor.
Bolands Mills of Dublin, now part of IAWS, sent machine number 371 — a classic 24" x 10" x 4 unit rollermill — to Satake U.K., the successor to Briddon & Fowler, and to Manchester’s two other famous milling engineering firms: Henry Simon and Thomas Robinson, for its makeover.
Briddon & Fowler had its roots in Henry Simon; George Briddon worked in the drawing office and R.J. Fowler was a milling expert. They left to form their own company in 1902, and according to Glyn Jones in his book "The Millers – a story of technological endeavour and industrial success 1870 – 2001," they subsequently claimed to have popularized the rollermill with "rolls placed diagonally" but were better known for their patented Alphega system, whereby the break flour was separated immediately after leaving the nip of the rolls, to prevent contamination by bran powder.
In 1915, Briddon & Fowler was absorbed by Henry Simon and the principals rejoined the Simon staff.