By Dr. Irfan Hashmi
The 14th Annual Conference & Trade Show for the Association of Operative Miller’s Middle East & East Africa District was held in Mauritius, from October 20-23, 2002.
The natural beauty of Mauritius attracted around 300 delegates from across the Middle East and Africa regions, including millers from Egypt, Lebanon, Sudan, South Africa, Kenya, India, Turkey, Oman U.A.E., Mozambique and many more.
In fact, due to the large number of attendees from across Africa, it was suggested at the business meeting that the district’s name be changed to "Middle East & Africa" to reflect its members and attendees from across the continent. This measure will be up for a final vote at the AOM’s Conference and Trade Show May 17-21 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
The trade show floor was also full, with 24 exhibiting companies from Europe, Australia, North America and India.
"This meeting is a tremendous opportunity to obtain valuable exposure to all that is current in the industry," according to the conference’s organizer, Andre Bega, with Les Moulins De La Concorde, the only mill on the small island, located east of Madagascar.
Some of the conference presentations included:
• "A new opportunity for the region," Ray Vrtiska, InterSystems, U.S.;
• "Classic solutions & innovation in the bag closing field," Alfred Grandjean, Fischbein, Belgium;
• "Common problems in flour mills," John Bunn, AWB, Australia;
• "Duro-drive oil-free operation of your existing roller mill," Shamik Patel, Satake, U.K.;
• "Flour Fortification," Quinten Johnson, Micronutrient Initiative, Canada;
• "Flour milling," A. Frosi, Ocrim, Italy;
• "Flour quality and milling performance evaluation using digital imaging," Ashok Sarkar, Canadian International Grains Institute, Canada;
• "Globel wheat situation," Djamal Djhouri, Gulf Import & Export Co, UAE;
• "HACCP for flour mills," Dr. Irfan Hashmi, National Flour Mills, UAE;
• "Milling rolls, innovation & quality control," David Balaguer, Fundiciones Balaguer, Spain;
• "Modernization concept for flour mill," Frank Spalek, MMW GmbH, Germany;
• "New milling technologies to meet market demands," Walter Bruggmann, Buhler, Switzerland;
• "New technologies," Bob Kice, Kice Industries, U.S.;
• "Optimum conditioning of wheat for better yield & flour quality," Klaus Velten, Buhler, Switzerland.
• "Oxidation in bread dough," Vincent Lechevallier, Lesaffre, France;
• "Solutions for flour milling," John Bohi, Sefar, Switzerland;
• "Sensory evaluation: A new tool for qualifying flour quality," Serge Momus Eurogerm, France;
• "Successes and challenges in flour fortification in the Middle East and Africa," Dr. Anna Verster, WHO, Egypt;
• "Test weight and thousand kernel weight: How are they related?" Henry Stevens, US Wheat Associates, U.S.;
• "Maize degerming and processing technology," Shamik Patel, Satake, U.K.;
• "The Superimposed rollermill Synthesis," Mauro Pizzamiglio, GBS, Italy.
At the conference, new district officers were named for 2002-03. Appointments included Essa Al-Ghurair, UAE, to district director and chairman; Mohammad Murtazivi, Iran, to vice-chairman; Nicolas Tsikhlakis, Jordan, to treasurer; and Irfan Hashmi, UAE, was named chief organizer of the 2003 Dubai conference, to take place on October 5-8.
In October 2004, the district conference will be held in Tehran-Iran.
Dr. Hashmi can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org for conference details. Last date of registration, hotel booking, and trade show booth reservations is set for September 1, 2003.
Contact Dr. Irfan Hashmi, conference organizer, at email@example.com for conference details, such as registration, hotel, sponsorships, visa, booths, advertisements, technical papers and what’s new presentations. Last date of registration is set for September 1, 2003.